Ros is a qualified journalist and trainer with expertise gained in public, private and third sector organisations. She’s worked across all media – TV, radio, print, digital and social. Her experience includes reporting and producing for BBC News, PR consultancy and serving as Press Secretary to a government minister. Ros’s courses are high energy, interactive and interesting, structured to ensure measurable outcomes and clear return on investment.
An effective news release is a cost-effective and proven way to communicate about your business, generate media coverage, raise profile, engage customers, build reputation and increase enquiries and sales.
This one-day workshop covers the fundamentals of press release writing. As well as learning the skills and techniques needed, you’ll also learn how to give a traditional press release a 21st century twist to create multimedia news copy that works for your website and social media platforms.
Is it for you?
This workshop is ideal for:
- Staff new to business communications who need cost-effective support and hands-on training
- Marketing and PR students keen to improve their writing skills
- Anyone responsible for using communications to raise the profile of their business or organisation
What to expect
- Learn how to write eye-catching headlines and compelling copy
- Identify your audience and what’s news – and what isn’t
- Build your media contacts
- An insight into how the media work
- How to incorporate quotes, photos, videos and graphics
- Analyse examples of press releases – the good and the bad
- Practise writing press releases – set exercises cover a range of topics
- Feedback on you exercise
- How to adjust your press release for differing audiences and platforms (including search optimising for the web)
By the end of the session you will have:
- Created a press release that you can use to promote your business
- Built your own media list
- Generated ideas for stories that journalists will want to use
- Gained insight into how the media work
- Understood how and when to distribute your press release